Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

GOLD RUSH

Kia ora readers,

What I have been learning this week in Hurumanu 1 was working on Gold Rush stuff. I was writing about the First major that found the golds and the new chinese miners from the olden days. 

First major gold rush in Otago

Gabriel Read, was the first man that found the golds near the Tuapeka river, and the Otago provincial government Had offered a $1000 reward. Thousands of diggers rushed to Gabriel’s Gully, Hoping to strike it rich. The goldfields of Victoria moved to Tasman, but not also miners, also businesspeople and entertainers. 


The New Chinese Miners

In 1865, a new gold rush was happening on the West Coast, Hundreds of chinese miners were encouraged to come and rework the Otago goldfields. Some of the chinese miners were mostly from southern China called New Zealand Sun Kum Shan or the new gold mountain. Most of the chinese didn’t speak english and they preferred to build small stone houses away from the other miners. They had their own shops, run by their own people. Some Chinese miners were rewarded with gold, but many remained poor and far away from a home they never saw again.



HERE IS A VIDEO




No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.